Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Since Extend-A-Family Kingston (EAF) was established in 1981 we have been committed to providing a range of supports and services to individuals with a disability and their families. As a not-for-profit organization, Extend-A-Family Kingston is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Extend-A-Family Kingston provides a choice of services and supports for children with developmental disabilities, physical disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorders as well as a range of services and supports for adults with a developmental disability.
Job Listing #770
Program/Camp Counsellor • Seasonal / Saisonnier
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018
Application Deadline: 30 May 2018
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 14
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities
- Police Record Check - CPIC including Vulnerable Sector
- Standard First Aid, CPR
- Sign language (ASL)
- CPI training
- G-tube feedings
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with a team
- Strong program delivery skills in a variety of areas including crafts, music, swimming, and recreational activities
We are looking for individuals who are energetic, positive role models, safety conscious and who have a genuine compassionate and caring nature.
Area of Authority
Under the direction of the Coordinator of Day Services, the Camp Counsellor is responsible for implementing and supporting an exciting, active program for individuals with special needs.
- Become familiar with each participant’s profile, paying particular attention to vulnerabilities.
- Greet participant(s) and their caregivers in the morning, check backpacks for lunches, sunscreen, swimsuits and towel, and ensure personal items are in backpack at the end of the day.
- Provide constant care and supervision to assigned participants, paying close attention to their health and safety at all times.
- Encourage individual(s) to participate in the activities one-on-one and within the larger group by engaging them and taking an active participatory role, including during swims in lakes and pools.
- Intervene and problem-solve when conflict occurs between participants.
- Organize materials and assist with crafts and activities.
- Assist program participants with personal hygiene and toileting.
- Responsible for reporting any incidents within group to the Coaches and Coordinator and writing up Incident Reports.
- Encourage participants and work with other staff to tidy up upon completion of activities, after every transition and at the end of the day.
- Provide first aid treatment as needed.
- Report any health and safety issues immediately to supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
Please address the following points by number in your cover letter:
- Are you available to start work on Monday, June 25th?
- Are you able to work full-time for the entire period between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday from Monday, June 25th to Friday, August 17th?
- Please list which of the following qualifications you possess and include validation or expiration dates where applicable: CPR/First Aid, CPI, ASL, G-Tube Feeding, Valid Driver’s License, and are you bilingual?
- Groups are organized by age: 4-8, 9-12, 13-17, 18-21 and 21+. Please identify which age group(s) you are interested in working with and your applicable experience.
Those sending their resume and cover letter by email are asked to send one PDF containing both documents with the file name Last name, First NameSYP2018.
Apply by with resume and cover letter by mail or email to:
Competition: SYP2018 – Counsellor
361 Montreal Street
Kingston, Ontario K7K 3H4
No in-person visits or phone calls, please.
Qualifications: Additional Requirements:
You have viewed this listing 1 times.